Friday, December 19, 2008

Free to believe exactly what I want you to believe.

I just watched for the first time last night. I know I know I'm behind a little.

As an evangelical Christian I obviously agree with the idea of Intelligent design (or rather an Intelligent Designer) and I was challenged by the fact that there are some questions which I have choosen to make up the answers for myself not really searching for truth.

Everytime I hear someone try to explain away the "idea" of God I am reminded of the Rich man who asked Jesus "What must I do to inherit eternal life?" I don't know too many people who don't wonder, at least a little about what happens after this life. Natural selection does not provide much hope for the soul of man...but that's not really what this post is about.

This documentary struck me to the core as they talked about essentially replacing faith with science. One scientist mentioned that faith should become as a recreational activity people participate in on the weekend. Another insisted because there is nothing to have faith in his life was only as valuable as he deemed it to be and that he would end it when it became to difficult for him to live.

Ben Stein talks with historians about what occured in Nazi Germany when a few people's market value of life was impressed upon an entire nation. People didn't get to choose whether their life was valuable and their faith actually aided in their demise.

What will happen here, in America, when my belief in the value of my life and the lives of my children does not line up with market value? What happens daily when mothers, fathers, doctors, and nurses choose to devalue human life simply because they can not see it's worth. What happens when the creator of life is disregarded and instead we elevate what we believe to be comfort and perfection, what is right and best?

It starts small...say with the idea of evolution as Darwin put it. Then slowly (or rather quickly in my opinion) ballons into a end all be all revolutionary idea to bring everlasting joy to people who will in the end parish just as those before them and those to come.

No comments: