Saturday, September 13, 2008

How about some headlines?

UK Jury decides that threat of global warming justifies breaking law...

Priest Accused Of Selling Coke From Church...

UPDATE: 400 Chinese babies sick from contaminated milk powder...

24 dead, 135 injured...

Encouraged? No?

I know these aren't atypical headlines, but they're discouraging none the less. Almost mindlessly I postion myself in front of the computer a couple times a day to check out the latest headlines and read about how I'm much better off than those mentioned. I find myself attracted to the stories with the greatest shock value.

I wonder how the families of those 24 dead would feel if they knew the tragic loss of their family member was entertainment to me.

What about the sick babies in China...I remarked how sad I thought it was, but I did little more than come up with some snide judgement against whoever let this happen.

The way I see it I have two choices:
1. Stop reading the news.
2. Start making the news.

Quite possibly if I was out walking the footsteps of Christ, serving the needy, sharing the gospel, and living the gospel I wouldn't have time to read the headlines. Maybe if enough Christians did that we'd be the news.

You may have seen the e-mail that went out a while back saying that Billy Graham paraded down the streets of New Orleans with a massive army of Christians singing hymns and witnessing to people on the street. It was a great story...it wasn't true, but it could have been. Would that make news?

I'm not saying Christians should be vying for their 15 minutes of fame. God gives Grace to the humble. What I am saying is that if I was obeying God's command to love my neighbor maybe, just maybe they wouldn't be the next tragic headline.

No comments: