So I hit it big at the thrift store yesterday with a dress I just couldn't wait to refashion. This dress looks to me like it is newer and probably actually a current style, but since this was my first real refashion I didn't want to go too crazy.
Here's the original dress:
First I ripped off the sleeves (I know it sounds violent, but I literally ripped out the stitching):
Then I trimmed 2 1/4" off the bottom and cut the existing hem off of the piece I had just cut:
I used the piece of fabric I had cut from the bottom (with the hem removed) as bias tape to seal the raw edges of the arms. *Note When I did this it created an outward pull on the arm hole and too much of a gap under the arm. I folded over a little fabric under the arm, and tacked it down.
Next I cut two small slits in the back of the dress and used the hem piece I had cut off to tie a knot through the slits. This offered a little more shape to the front. It should be noted that this is not my idea. I got this idea from Jona of Stop Staring Start Sewing. Then I sewed in the tie by sewing the opening of the slits closed with the tie through it.
Here's the finished dress: