Saturday, June 27, 2009

Refashion!

So I hit it big at the thrift store yesterday with a dress I just couldn't wait to refashion. This dress looks to me like it is newer and probably actually a current style, but since this was my first real refashion I didn't want to go too crazy.
Here's the original dress:


First I ripped off the sleeves (I know it sounds violent, but I literally ripped out the stitching):


Then I trimmed 2 1/4" off the bottom and cut the existing hem off of the piece I had just cut:


I used the piece of fabric I had cut from the bottom (with the hem removed) as bias tape to seal the raw edges of the arms. *Note When I did this it created an outward pull on the arm hole and too much of a gap under the arm. I folded over a little fabric under the arm, and tacked it down.


Next I cut two small slits in the back of the dress and used the hem piece I had cut off to tie a knot through the slits. This offered a little more shape to the front. It should be noted that this is not my idea. I got this idea from Jona of Stop Staring Start Sewing. Then I sewed in the tie by sewing the opening of the slits closed with the tie through it.


Here's the finished dress:


Back:

5 comments:

Revavena said...

Cute, Shara. Who was your model?

S.L.P said...

I was the model this time, but I was unbathed so I didn't want to show my bed head.

Salli said...

This is so cute! I can't wait to see future creations! Good job!

Jona Giammalva said...

I love it!! I want to go find a knit dress now!!

Anonymous said...

Love it! I do my best work unbathed!